Monday, May 23, 2005

Improvement & Growth Policy

It took me nine (9) years to get my Bachelor of Science degree. Yes NINE years....for the first five I was bullshitting....but then I saw how some people where busting their ass in school, by working full time and going to school full time. This was at UMUC. I was taking online classes....so why couldn't I do the same thing....

Well, I did...but I made it so much harder on myself because, I didn't have children at the time, but it was just when I decided to turn up the heat in school....I had my first child. But I did it....so it took me another four years to finish, but I did it!

I then entered into a dual master degree program....still online at UMUC. I did my first master degree in three years (of which during that time I made matters WORSE and I had my second child) and then I completed my second degree within the next year.

Um...did I happen to mention...I'm a single mother.....

I did it. There are no excuses as to why it can't be done. Did I have all the money...ah hell no....yes, I did have to take student loans....but these are investments to yourself, so NEVER think of it as a debt....if you do...your only in debt to yourself...paying that back means - having a GOOD life........therefore, what you do with that investment will give you a great ROI (return on investment).

Examples of great returns....

  1. I was able to get MUCH better job. Now I have a federal government career.
  2. I make a lot more money than I use to....therefore I am able to provide myself and my children (I have two girls) a VERY comfortable lifestyle...(both are in private schools).
  3. I don't live paycheck to paycheck....I just live.
Therefore, improvement and growth one's education is clearly fundamental to me.....

So, I give must respect to any person who is always striving to improve themselves in some fashion. Whether it is creatively or through formal education.

However, I have got to give some MAD love to anyone out there who are about doing something for themselves and not using the reason of "someone" is holding them "down".

People you have got to know that YOU hold yourself down when you keep pushing lame excuses.

I am not saying that people don't have obstacles, because everyone has obstacles, some more than others, for various reasons, however there comes a time where one just has to put their best effort forward and accomplish all their heart's desires.

In the end you'll have a lot to show for it....mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and certainly materialistically......

No comments: